The History Department is a well-established department within St Louis, with a long standing tradition of excellent results and enthusiastic students. In our department, there are several key aims:

  • To deliver historical content effectively through active learning and appropriate strategies;
  • To develop the whole pupil, giving them awareness of ‘bigger’ issues through history;
  • To make judgements about the past, evaluating source material with perception and skill;
  • To involve pupils in wider historical debate, external competitions and the opportunity to participate in school trips.

In Year 8 we study the Normans and the Romans. Pupils get a grasp of some of the most basic concepts in History such as cause, consequence, empathy and bias.

In Year 9 we study Irish History, conflict and politics including the origins of the Troubles and how our current political climate is ever-evolving. Pupils discuss contentious issues in a structured, educational framework which allows our young people to have a good grasp of our own troubled past and indeed our bright future.

In Year 10 we study 20th century world events, including the current political situation in Northern Ireland. This results in enjoyable lessons on topical themes. Pupils feel capable working individually and with others, using all of their personal skills and capabilities to enhance their learning experience.

GCSE History includes a study of Nazi Germany and Northern Ireland during World War Two in Year 11. Pupils sit their Unit 1 exam, worth 60%, at the end of the year. An in-depth study of international relations from 1945 to 2003 is the focus of Year 12 and the Unit 2 exam is worth the remaining 40%. Understanding the content of each component is made easier with the appropriate use of ICT and bespoke revision booklets. Effective revision strategies, exam technique and past paper practice are both key elements of the study of History at this level.

A Level offers pupils an opportunity to broaden their knowledge on important topics such as the relations between the USA and the USSR in the 20th century and more importantly an in-depth study of Ireland’s most important years in the development of Irish independence 1900-1925. We offer a variety of modules which change year on year. Pupils develop their communication and analytical skills in the study of key historical events. Success rate at A Level has always been exceptionally high and History is thoroughly enjoyed by all who choose it.


Mrs D Johnston (Head of Department)

Mrs J Doherty

Miss A Logan

Mr C Morgan

Mr G McNeill

Miss E McLaughlin